Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Chapter 47 – Sungai Palas Tea Plantation @ Cameron Highlands

It has become a norm now for one to visit tea farm whenever they visit Cameron Highlands – like it or not, we must thank to the huge tea farms available only in Cameron Highlands which somehow contribute to the cold weather there. During my recent stay in Cameron Highlands, I visited Sungai Palas Tea Plantation.
Quick fact about this place is that it is not easy to find the place as the road is pretty hidden actually. The best landmark is that it is situated right opposite the Honey Bee Farm; if you happen to miss the turning, forget about the fact that you can use another road to get into this place but you have to detour and get back to the main road.

The road is not easy and it can be quite challenging for those who just have their “P” license – narrow and sharp turns, one way in and out and “car horn” becomes your best friend when you are in that area though there is a board stating that you can’t use it.

There were few cars stopped at certain areas to capture some beautiful scenery and we too followed them. We stashed our car by the roadside and quickly went down to take some “selfie” shots as well as inhaling the fresh air. After spending about 5 – 10 minutes there, we hopped back into the car and continued our journey.
Alas – there were so many cars parked there and we knew that this was the place where people often talk about – we even saw a couple taking their wedding shots there. Of course, good things never come easy as we need to walk a distance in order to reach the main area. Upon reaching the main entrance, we went to their café while our eyes were feasting the greenery. Meanwhile, bestie and I queued up to buy some pastries and beverage.
I ordered a hot cup of 3-in-1 tea. However, in less than 5 minutes, my hot tea became a cold tea since we stood outside the café. As I wanted to try feeling the “tai-tai” tea session especially in such a nice environment, my plan failed tremendously. There were so many people trying to take some “selfie” shots there which disrupted my views and what’s more when their butt were facing us…GRHHH…

Once I finished my food and drink, I put on my “tourist” cap, wondering around and reading the history of Boh. Then, my curiosity hooked me to join the factory tour without watching the video first – apalah me!

It’s a quick tour by the way and there are few processes involved in making a good Boh tea!

Step 1 – Maker’s office
  • This is where the tea is being weighed, the production is being recorded, the humidity factors are being checked and tea “liquor” is being tasted during the manufacturing process.

Step 2 – Rolling
  • Rollers are used to twist and break the withered leaves, distort and rupture its internal cells.
  •  It also liberates and exposes its juices for fermentation.
Step 3 – Fermentation
  •             It is a natural chemical process that is essential for the leaf to develop the right flavour,  aroma and colour.
  •            Timing and temperature have to be carefully controlled at this stage.
       Step 4 – Drying
  • The fermented leaves are fed into machines through hot air passing at temperatures nearing 100 degree C.
  •  This halts the fermentation action, reduces the moisture content to less than 3% and crystallizes the juice, thus converting the leaves into its familiar crisp black form.
  • The drying process is completed in approximately twenty minutes.
Step 5 – Sorting
  •  After drying, the made tea is graded according to particle size by passing it through a series of vibrating sieves.
  • Stalks and fibres are also extracted.
  • Each grade of tea has its own density and flavour characteristics.


That’s pretty much sum up the process of transforming a cooked tea from the raw plants. I definitely learnt a lot though I didn’t watch the video at the beginning. Aside from that, my brain was exposed to some history items in which I tried to dig from my memory bank if I had ever come across this but unfortunately, I couldn’t remember anything – perhaps, I have returned my history knowledge to my teachers in school. Haha!
Overall, it is an educational yet a fun visit to this place. It is not easy to produce the tea unlike what we always watch in the TV where people use their hands and wok to fry the tea – it actually requires more hard work and efforts to produce a good cup of tea.

So, if you happen to visit Cameron Highlands, I strongly reckon you to visit Sungai Palas Tea Plantation. After all, no entrance fee is required except that you need to pay for their food and drinks.
Sungai Palas Tea Plantation is located in Berinchang about 5km north from town or 2km from Kea Farm Market. If you stay in Copthorne Hotel, it is about 1km away only.
It opens daily from 9am to 4.30pm but closes on every Mondays.

Regards,
Foodiestravel

No comments:

Post a Comment