Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Chapter 49 – Top 5 things to do in Phuket, Thailand!


Lately, I went to Phuket for a short getaway – it was a last minute planned trip with a few friends of mine and off, we headed to Phuket without exploring the dos and the dons there. Initially, I thought that 3, 000 baht would be sufficient for my 3 days and 2 nights but unfortunately, I was wrong!! I couldn’t even do much shopping since my pocket was quite tight and there was one extent whereby 3 of us had to share a plate of spaghetti..Aiyoyo..what a life man.

Anyway, I was glad that I managed to at least visit some prominent places even though our resort was located at quite an isolated place – what I meant by isolated place was the resort would be more suitable for couples or families who want to have a peace and serene getaway or the best way to put it is a retreat; not for people like us who want to explore the city. Hence, the cab fare totally stripped us off.

Above all, I must say that Phuket is a nice place to visit. Instead, I would reckon one to stay in Patung Beach as that place is more happening. As we went in July, we were told not to do any island hopping, snorkelling or any beach activities due to the high water tides and current.

After my 3 days and 2 nights trip, these are what I have compiled for top 5 things to do in Phuket:

1. Do grocery shopping @ Tesco Lotus Express
I couldn’t help much but grocery store always lured me to step into the place. Following to my Krabi’s experience, I knew that their snacks are sold at a slightly cheaper rate. For instance, I can get a stick of Sugus for only 60 baht (RM 0.60). Looking at the rows of items, my aunti-ness started to take a toll on me; I bought 2 packs of Lays, a bottle of milk, a stick of Ovaltine biscuit, 10 packs of Tomyam Maggi, a Tomyam Maggi Noodle cup and many more. I felt so happy after I did my shopping there.

2. Visit Phuket Night Market @ Phuket Town
Lady luck was with us despite it rained throughout our 3 days there. Phuket Night Market is available on every Saturday and Sunday; apparently, people there associate Phuket Night Market with Chatchuchak market in Bangkok. I have never been to Bangkok before but the Phuket Night Market is really big – I spent about 3 hours there, from shopping to buying my dinner there. We even packed some food back to our resort because they were just irresistable.

3. Visit Patong Beach
It is a happening place where you get to see tourists from all over the places. Of course, you get to see rows of “Tiger-Show” especially at the Bangla Road – I didn’t go in despite that my curiosity hit in. In fact, I couldn’t even go in since I did not have enough money. Aiks! Nevertheless, there are lots of restaurants, massage places, and it is a shopping paradise for shoppers too. What made my day was I got a foot massage session for 180 baht (RM 18.00) only – so cheap la!

4. Eat Thai food
How can you not taste Thai food when you are at Phuket?? Throughout these 3 days, I filled my tummy with lots of yummy food such as Green Curry Chicken, TomYam soup, Spicy Chilli Meat and many more. Some of the dishes were really spicy where it nearly burnt my tongue but it was way too awesome till one wouldn’t say no. I too learnt that pork dishes are rather popular in Thailand – I had Char Siew there too. Yum..

5.Visit Upside Down House
We didn’t come across this place actually but I guess fate wanted us to visit that place. On our way to Phuket Night Market, we saw Upside Down House and quickly reminded our cab driver to bring us there on the very next day. However, there were some hiccups in between and we visited this place on our last day. The name itself has already stated on what one can expect when they go in.

Since most of us were already broke at that time, we visited Upside Down House only and forgo-ed The Garden Maze. Everything in the house is attached to the ceiling and it becomes a challenge for a photographer to take nice photo. One must be creative too, to pose for a certain angle.

A place that is worth to visit actually! Entrance fee is only 200 baht (RM 20.00)

That somehow summarizes my 3 days and 2 nights trip in Phuket. Besides feeding my tummy in the morning, noon and night, these are the places that I visited. Other than that, I was leisurely chilling myself in the resort since we had an indoor poolJ.

Life can never be so amazing when you let your brain, body and your soul to rest. It will be an added bonus if you go with the right group of people as well as a planned itinerary.

Regards,
Foodiestravel


No comments:

Post a Comment