Monday, November 11, 2013

Chapter 30 - Penang Camera Museum

When I was in my secondary school, I always wanted to own a good camera - with camera, it allows me to capture beautiful moments and somewhat, freezes the time. Once I stepped into university, I preferred to be the character or in layman term, to be the one who was being photographed - at least, I have that memory in time and no one can take it away from you =). 

                                 
My love towards photography indeed has grown throughout the years, with the exposure from friends and family. This time, I had the opportunity to visit Penang Camera Museum and experience a unique journey through time. It is located in the heart of the George Town Heritage Zone and you will discover fascinating vintage cameras from your great grandpa's era to now - they do not own cameras in Malaysia only but also, have cameras from all over the globe which unconsciously, you will soak yourself in the camera history class and experience the evolution of it.

As you enter the museum, you will be welcomed by a huge, gigantic camera and will step into the reception hall that leads you to the exhibition area. Photos from key renowned photographers are purchasable there at a reasonable price.
                                   
Besides the photo exhibition, you will notice a spiral stairs and this is where it leads you to the world of cameras. For RM20 entrance fee, RM 10 for students and senior citizens, you will be surrounded by around 200 cameras on display. With the student status (that I assume I still have it), I paid RM 10.00 only. I was then being welcomed by Kodak camera which I believe it is not a strange thing for most of you. I am indeed surprised that Kodak is used to be a multinational company that dominated the film industry - somewhat, they were one of the pioneers in the camera industry too!

After going through the wondrous cameras, you will soon be led to three rooms: a room that shows the film processing procedure, an interactive camera obscura and pin-hole cameras room. We were truly amazed of course, and this was definitely an eye-opening experience for us.








Before I left, I took a photo with OH SNAP!
                                          
The Camera Museum is located at 49, Lebuh Muntri, 10200 Georgetown, Penang.

Happy "snapping" around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment