Monday, April 22, 2013

Chapter 17 - Xiao Long Bao in Din Tai Fung

Known for its World Famous Xiao Long Bao and received recognition worldwide especially in Taiwan, Din Tai Fung is no longer a strange name for all. An award winning Taiwanese restaurant that brings us to the Shanghainese Delights has always made us want to try them.

Back then in March,  I actually told my bestie this:-

Me: Bestie, I want to try the Xiao Long Bao at Din Tai Fung. Everyone claims that it is really good compared to other brands and I want to try it.
Bestie: Ok but wait till 49 days!
Me: WHYYYYY????

And I did wait till 49 days in order for me to eat the Xiao Long Bao. When the day was almost here, I kept reminded Bestie about Din Tai Fung - Being a joker and a clown, he ignored my request and proposed other brands like Dragon-I - I would then give him the Mashimaro's look.....

Photo credit to Google Image

AND it worked! That marked my journey to step into Din Tai Fung restaurant at Empire Gallery, Subang Jaya - we were served by an attentive staff. She brought us to seat and I was so overwhelmed that I was here in Din Tai Fung! As soon as I flipped the menu, I was a bit disappointed - I always thought that Din Tai Fung serves a wide array of Shanghainese dishes, unfortunately, it's NOT!

Within seconds of going through the menu, we ordered our MUST-TO-EAT dish. First, is their signature Xiao Long Bao. Wrapped in fine-yet firm-translucent skin, each dumpling has at least 18 exquisite folds.
Xiao Long Bao (8 pcs) - RM 12.30

Handle the Xiao Long Bao with extremely care, I took a bite at the fine skin and slowly, sipped the broth. The meat within, is steamed to perfection and every bite is just history. With its plump filling and juicy meat, the Xiao Long Bao is made fresh upon each order.

We also had Cha Jiang La Mian - The La Mian is firm and springy that topped with a couple of ingredients such as spicy dried beans, shredded meat, mini tofu, tomato, green soy bean, and soy bean paste. Something special I would say but if you opt for a quick challenge, I would then suggest you to add a dash of chili oil that is specially made by Din Tai Fung to give you an extra kick onto your taste buds.
Cha Jiang La Mian - RM 13.50

One of the must-eat SIGNATURE dishes is Pork Chop Fried Rice - They comes in 2 separate plates and the rice itself is aromatic and fluffy but somehow, it lacks of something. To me, the fried rice is just like a normal fried rice that is easily available at other places. As for the pork chop, it is just LEGENDARY - the chef has done a good job in choosing the right pork and marinating it. When you have both the rice and pork chop together, it is just a perfect combination - not too oily, not too bland and they are just flavorful.
Pork Chop Fried Rice - RM 16.00

Pork Bun  (2 pcs) - RM 6.80
We ended our meals with the mains and we ordered Pork Buns. The buns are well made where the size is indeed all the same. As for the fillings, I just couldn't believe that it does contain a little pork broth. Juicy and tender, these buns simply provide a sweet end note to our lunch that day.


Din Tai Fung,
Empire Shopping Gallery,
G15, Ground Floor
Tel: 03 - 5022 2522

No comments:

Post a Comment