Monday, July 10, 2017

Chapter 117 – The 3Ks in Sabah - Kota Kinabalu, Kudat and Kundasang..

Once in a blue moon, I will visit Sabah or in particular, Kota Kinabalu.

This is my third time visiting Sabah; for the past two visits, I was brought to sample the local and authentic dishes of Sabah and at the same time, visiting cultural village as well as native museums.

This time around, we went slightly more adventurous by going on to a road trip. It was good in a way as you get to witness something different from Kota Kinabalu however, the hours spent on the road was not something that I particularly enjoyed. Nevertheless, the beauty of the mountains, the beach as well as the clear blue skies left me in awe as always.

1. Kudat
Famously known for Kudat nuts, we drove all the way from Kota Kinabalu to Kudat which took us about 3 hours..for just one way. Upon reaching, we visited morning market and got the famously known Chun Jian – it is a local delicacy where the meat is wrapped with a layer of thin egg – best to be eaten by just steaming it or stir-fry it with vegetables.

Kudat is also popular with gong so you will notice people playing gongs, turning the market to be such a memorable place to walk around.

2. Tip of Borneo, Kudat


This certainly deserve a sub-topic on its own.

You can’t say that you have visited Kudat without paying a visit to the Tip of Borneo. The road leading to Tip of Borneo is quite quiet that we sometimes doubt if we use the right way.
A sigh of relief when reaching the Tip of Borneo.

Voila, we saw this amazing, unique earth-sculpture, greeting us! It was windy that day and we had marvelous time, taking tons of worthy-Instagram photo although we looked bad in most of the photos where hairs were covering our face like nobody business.

We took the challenge to also walk towards to the Tip of Borneo where the eyes were feasted with clear blue skies and the roaring ocean, flapping its 101% of its strength, wishing to throw us offshore. Thank God we have enough fats to withstand the strong wind.

3. Kundasang, Sabah
Similar like Cameron Highlands, Kundasang is a chilling place for one to relax. On the way to Kundasang, there is a mini market where you see rows of stalls selling the local biscuits like Biskut Cincin. There is also a pineapple sculpture in which my boyfriend inherits the pineapple hairstyle.

4. Desa Dairy Farm, Sabah

Known as New Zealand in Malaysia, definitely, I opted to visit this place when I was in Kundasang, Sabah.

Perhaps, the expectation had been heightened up and it brought me with slight disappointment. The idea where I could play and feed the cows on an open field while taking a beautiful photo amidst the greeneries vanished when they only allow us to feed the cows at the barn.

Oh ya, we also got to see on how the cows were milked but that was not something we expected. We pitied the cows somehow…but our pity-ness were immediately paid off when our noses were put to cows’ poop throughout our visit.

5. Sabah Tea Garden, Poring, Sabah
Putting our blue caps to find out more about Sabah Tea, we were greeted with a group of friendly staff. The dedicated tour guide brought us around in the factory and explained to us patiently on the process of how the black tea is made. From selecting process all the way to withering, drying, fermenting and packaging.

Like how we used to behave in class when the class teacher started his teaching, we listened to them attentively. However, the minute we stepped out from Sabah Tea Garden, that’s where we returned the knowledge to the teachers.. I hope I can still remember some nonetheless.

6. Memorial War Museum, Kundasang, Sabah
Can you believe that there is a memorial war museum at Kundasang? Thanks to my curiosity, we visited this place and found ourselves surrounded by the history of the Death War happened in Sandakan and Ranau. As we immersed into the history, our eyes were so entertained with the rich history of this and we started to browse more and more.

Voila, we met the founder of the Memorial War Museum, Kundasang – Mr. Sevee Charuruks. He was a bit shy I guess hence, I did not offer to take a photo with him otherwise, I would have one.

He shared the story of how the Memorial War Museum is started and I was kind of amazed with his passion to rebuild this place. Bear in mind that he is not even a Malaysian but a Thai who sees the importance to preserve the history of the nation.

7. Local delicacies…

Some say apple is the best medicine but I would say food is the best medicine among all.
Having to indulge the local authentic Sabah dishes is something that I should applaud for. I believe my tummy would certainly agree to it. Tuaran Mee, Tenom Mee and Beaufort Mee are just some of the names that I stated which I had during my recent visit nevertheless, the list of the local noodles is never-ending.

Seafood; where Sabah is also known for! Fresh seafood plus reasonable pricing which gives one to indulge as many as they could from fresh fish to live prawns, abalones, sea urchins, scallops and etc.

Kuih-muih is not something to miss for and Lido Square is where you can get all sort of assortment that could easily satisfy your cravings. I had mine there as always and this time, I managed to buy the nasi lemak which always have a queue. Delicious.
It was a good retreat after all to Sabah especially it has been ages since my last visit. Definitely, the trip would not turn out well if and only if my boyfriend was not with me and be my sole tour guide, planning, driving and bringing me to immerse to the local Sabah culture. Thanks, boyfie!

Regards,

Foodiestravel

No comments:

Post a Comment