Sunday, January 18, 2015

Chapter 63 – Top 14 MUST-TRY food in Sabah!


Glad to end my 2014 with a fabulous trip to Sabah for 5 days and 4 nights followed by a Sarawak trip for 3 days and 2 nights. While I hope that I could just live in that stress-free, relax life, I know that it is just be a dream only unless I am on the verge of retirement.

Sabah trip was indeed an awesome one. I flushed my stomach with plenty of food; when I meant plenty, it means a lot! I weighed myself on a daily basis when I was in Sabah and to my surprise, I gained 0.2kg everyday – yes, you see it right! Haha! Nevertheless, I still did not stop eatingJ.

Anyway, here are my recommendations for 14 must-try food when you are in Sabah.

1.    Beaufort Noodle @ Restaurant Man Tai
RM 7.00 each
In Sabah, each area will have the respective well-known noodles such as Tamparuli Noodle, Beaufort Noodle, Tuaran Noodle, Tenom noodle and many more. Thus, it is a must to try them all – the noodles are usually home-made as well as the broth itself.

Address: Restaurant Man Tai (Beaufort) – a corner shop located inside the housing area of Taman Dah Yeh.

2.    Buah Talap @ Foh Sang Morning Market
RM 6.00 each (In Gaya Street, it is sold at RM 10.00 each)
The fruit is awesome but unfortunately, I couldn’t bring it back to Kuala Lumpur. To me, it is like the mini version of Cempedak – slimy yet sweet!

Address: Luyang, 88300 Kota Kinabalu

3.    Yau Char Kuay + Kaya @ Foh Sang Morning Market
RM 1.40 each
This is more of a Sabah thing. In Peninsula, I hardly come across people eating Yau Char Kuay with Kaya. In Kuala Lumpur, people usually eat it as the way it is or have it with Kopi O. Nevertheless, Yau Char Kuay with Kaya tastes good too! Worth trying.

Address: Luyang, 88300 Kota Kinabalu

4.    Red Bean Glutinuous Kuih @ Foh Sang Morning Market
RM 1.00 each
I can’t believe that I will fall in love with this kuih! It’s really, really nice – chewy and has a fair hint of sweetness due to the red bean.

Address: Luyang, 88300 Kota Kinabalu

5.    Ham Xin Piang @ Lido Square Market
RM 1.00 each
Enveloped with five spices powder, the kuih comes out in crisp to perfection. Bear in mind that quality differs according to the places. I bought one in Foh Sang Morning Market but unfortunately, it was rather soft and it looked un-fresh.

Address: Lido Square Market

6.    BBQ Chicken Wings with Honey @ Damai
RM 1.80 each
I had my first chicken wings on the second day upon my arrival at Sabah – though the size is rather small, the chicken wings taste really good, enveloping with honey. When I returned on the forth night to get these before I left to KL, I found the chicken wings were quite sweet. That said, the quality can sometime differs though – I wish they could maintain their quality at least because I tasted the “very good” chicken wing before at their stall once.

There are about 7 stalls all around Kota Kinabalu food courts nonetheless, my vote always go to Damai food court. Otherwise, you can visit Lido food court, Taman Dah Yeh, Bundusan-Jin Shi Lou restaurant and etc.

7.    Stir Fried Dumplings @ Hilltop
RM 0.70 each
Always my favourite! J The famous homemade dumplings in Hilltop that allures the locals and tourists alike to make a visit whenever time allows; I have been to this place during the weekdays and weekends and I must say the place is always packed with people – that shows how good the food is!

Address: Kedai Kopi New Mui Vui, Lot 2, Ground Floor, Kolam Plaza

8.    Steamed Dumplings @ Hilltop
RM 0.70 each
If you do not fancy stir-fry dumplings, you can opt for steamed dumplings then. It was rather dry when we packed it home hence, we put a little oil, giving a “wet” look that easily satisfy our appetite.

Address: Kedai Kopi New Mui Vui, Lot 2, Ground Floor, Kolam Plaza

9.    Egg tarts @ Dotts Damai
RM 1.50 each
Crispy and thick in fillings; soft and not too sweet – Initially, I bought 2 egg tarts only. After satisfying my tummy with one, I came down from the car and bought half a dozen.

Address: Dott’s Egg Tarts, Lorong Damai Point, Damai Plazza, 88300 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

10.  Fruit ABC @ Bukit Padang
RM 5.00 for a bowl
At times when the stomach has been contaminated, it is good and refreshing to keep stomach “awake” with something healthy like fruits!

Address: Bukit Padang’s parking lot

11.  Kon Lou Mee @ Kah Heang, Likas
RM 15.00 for Shen Rou Mian and Zhu Jing Yuan

In one of the days, bestie and I sneaked out to have Kon Lou Mee at Kah Heang, Likas despite that we just had a hearty meal. Compared to other places, the dry noodles served in Kah Heang are covered in thick, black sauce. Yet, the soup itself is flavourful with generous portion of pork from various parts such as lean meat, intestine and etc. By the way, it was a long wait for our food to arrive.

12.  Sarawak Laksa @ Lido
RM 7.00 each
Headed to this place on the first day but it was closed. So, we purposely woke up early to make sure that we had this Sarawak Laksa. Thank God, my efforts did not come to a waste because my taste buds were well-entertained with the creamy Laksa broth.

Address: Very close to Lido Market – the stall is located at the corner shop, sharing the area with a Chicken Rice stall.

13.  Pork soup @ Kah Heong Zhu Chap
RM 11.20 (for the above dish with a cup of Barley drink)
The day before I bid farewell to Sabah, I ensured that I had another good bowl of pork soup – this time, I had it at Kah Heong Zhu Chap (somewhere near Inanam). A nutritious bowl of soup that kick-start my day before I explore Mari-Mari Cultural Village which I will share it in my next post.

14.  Butter bread @ Inanam
RM 1 – 2.00 per bun
I went to the shop itself and requested for Custard bread as many website claimed that. However, no Custard bread was sold in that shop; the boss also acknowledged that their BUTTER bread is the signature bread and that was the one the websites are referring to instead of Custard bread – wrong facts given pulak by the websites. Haha!

Address: Kedai Kopi Jeong Hin, Lot 8, Ground Floor, Block E, Lorong Inanam, Inanam New Township Phase 2, Kota Kinabalu.

Now, I guess you know how I gained so much of kilos despite that it was just a few days only...All in all, Kota Kinabalu is not only a tourist attraction but it is also a food paradise which certainly excites the food lovers. A MUST to visit place whenever time allows and it is best to stay in there for at least 4 days 3 nights; otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to try the good food J.

Happy Sunday peeps!

Regards,

Foodiestravel

No comments:

Post a Comment